skip navigation

A Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act

The federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of information in the files of consumer reporting agencies. There are many types of consumer reporting agencies, including credit bureaus and specialty agencies (such as agencies that sell information about check writing histories, medical records, and rental history records). Here is a summary of your major rights under the FCRA. For more information, including information about additional rights, go to or write to:

Consumer Response Center, Room 130-A
Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20580.

  • You must be told if information in your file has been used against you. Anyone who uses a credit report
    or another type of consumer report to deny your application for credit, insurance, or employment - or to take another adverse
    action against you - must tell you, and must give you the name, address, and phone number of the agency that provided the

  • You have the right to know what is in your file. You may request and obtain all the information about you in the
    files of a consumer reporting agency (your "file disclosure"). You will be required to provide proper identification, which may
    include your Social Security number. In many cases, the disclosure will be free. You are entitled to a free file disclosure if:

    • a person has taken adverse action against you because of information in your credit report;

    • you are the victim of identify theft and place a fraud alert in your file;

    • your file contains inaccurate information as a result of fraud;

    • you are on public assistance;

    • you are unemployed but expect to apply for employment within 60 days.

    In addition, by September 2005 all consumers will be entitled to one free disclosure every 12 months upon request from each
    nationwide credit bureau and from nationwide specialty consumer reporting agencies. See for additional information.

  • You have the right to ask for a credit score. Credit scores are numerical summaries of your credit-worthiness
    based on information from credit bureaus. You may request a credit score from consumer reporting agencies that create
    scores or distribute scores used in residential real property loans, but you will have to pay for it. In some mortgage
    transactions, you will receive credit score information for free from the mortgage lender.

  • You have the right to dispute incomplete or inaccurate information. If you identify information in your file
    that is incomplete or inaccurate, and report it to the consumer reporting agency, the agency must investigate unless your
    dispute is frivolous. See for an explanation of dispute procedures.

  • Consumer reporting agencies must correct or delete inaccurate, incomplete, or unverifiable
    Inaccurate, incomplete or unverifiable information must be removed or corrected, usually within 30 days.
    However, a consumer reporting agency may continue to report information it has verified as accurate.

  • Consumer reporting agencies may not report outdated negative information. In most cases, a
    consumer reporting agency may not report negative information that is more than seven years old, or bankruptcies that are
    more than 10 years old.

  • Access to your file is limited. A consumer reporting agency may provide information about you only to people with a
    valid need -- usually to consider an application with a creditor, insurer, employer, landlord, or other business. The FCRA
    specifies those with a valid need for access.

  • You must give your consent for reports to be provided to employers. A consumer reporting agency may
    not give out information about you to your employer, or a potential employer, without your written consent given to the
    employer. Written consent generally is not required in the trucking industry. For more information, go to

  • You may limit "prescreened" offers of credit and insurance you get based on information in
    your credit report.
    Unsolicited "prescreened" offers for credit and insurance must include a toll-free phone number you
    can call if you choose to remove your name and address from the lists these offers are based on. You may opt-out with the
    nationwide credit bureaus at 888-5-OPT-OUT (888-567-8688) or

  • You may seek damages from violators. If a consumer reporting agency, or, in some cases, a user of consumer
    reports or a furnisher of information to a consumer reporting agency violates the FCRA, you may be able to sue in state or
    federal court.

  • Identity theft victims and active duty military personnel have additional rights. For more information, visit

States may enforce the FCRA, and many states have their own consumer reporting laws. In some cases, you may
have more rights under state law. For more information, contact your state or local consumer protection agency
or your state Attorney General Federal enforcers are:

Consumer reporting agencies, creditors and others not listed below
Federal Trade Commission: Consumer Response Center -- FCRA

Washington, DC 20580 1-877-382-4357
National banks, federal branches/agencies of foreign banks (word "National" or initials "N.A." appear in or after bank's name)
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Compliance Management, Mail Stop 6-6
Washington, DC 20219 800-613-6743
Federal Reserve System member banks (except national banks, and federal branches/agencies of foreign banks)
Federal Reserve Board
Division of Consumer & Community Affairs
Washington, DC 20551 202-452-3693
Savings associations and federally chartered savings banks (word "Federal" or initials "F.S.B." appear in federal institution's name)
Office of Thrift Supervision

Consumer Complaints

Washington, DC 20552 800-842-6929
Federal credit unions (words "Federal Credit Union" appear in institution's name)
National Credit Union Administration
1775 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314 703-519-4600
State-chartered banks that are not members of the Federal Reserve System
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
Consumer Response Center, 2345 Grand Avenue, Suite 100
Kansas City, Missouri 64108-2638 1-877-275-3342
Air, surface, or rail common carriers regulated by former Civil Aeronautics Board or Interstate Commerce Commission
Department of Transportation, Office of Financial Management
Washington, DC 20590 202-366-1306
Activities subject to the Packers and Stockyards Act, 1921
Department of Agriculture Office of Deputy Administrator -- GIPSA
Washington, DC 20250 202-720-7051